Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Here fishy fishy fishy....

In my eyes, every guy liked to fish….whether they know it or not. To me it’s like a rite of passage to becoming a MAN! When you’re younger you think “man, this is extremely boring, it’s nothing like it looks in the cartoons!”  I remember my first experience with fishing. I was watching Sesame Street and Burt and Ernie were in a row boat. Burt was having a hell of a time getting anything…. And all Ernie would have to do is yell “HEEEERRRRRRRRREEEEE FISHY, FISHY, FISHY!!” Sure as hell one fish would jump into the boat.
                Of course I didn’t think that fishing was like that in real life, but I thought it would be a lot easier than it actually was…. Man, was I wrong! Some like to call it the sport of 100 casts, or if you fish for musky you can upgrade to 1000 casts. Fishing to a newcomer at my age would have to be the most aggravating thing in the world.
                You constantly have to assess conditions and change technique and of course it’s always a guess. Now I’m not necessarily a fishing purist, but I do get upset if I have a noisy gaggle of toddlers 100 feet from me throwing rocks in the water. This is my fun, go play on the monkey bars! You don’t see my throwing footballs at you while you’re swinging just because that’s where I chose to do it.
                Don’t get me wrong, im not complaining…..well not too much atleast…. I just like to think of this as just another thing that I enjoy, like a good beer, or a cigar, or a fast car.  This is just another thing that I think makes a man. When im out there I can disconnect from the real world and get back to mans roots of being self sufficient. The hunter and gatherer feeling is my high and I think every man should experience that.
                Sunday I caught my first fish of the season. It was an extremely momentous occasion for me because it marked the beginning of many long fights of strength and wit. Don’t be fooled about this fish story though, it may sound like a whale of a tale, but it definitely doesn’t reflect Sundays catch!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment